Helpline Center: The Helpline Center is the only nationally accredited crisis center in South Dakota and provides extensive suicide prevention, intervention and postvention programs that include trainings, crisis support and survivor support services. The agency is part of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline network of crisis centers and answers 1-800-273-8255 for the state of South Dakota 24/7. The mission of the Helpline Center is to make lives better by giving support, offering hope and creating connections all day every day.
Front Porch Coalition: The Front Porch Coalition is dedicated to helping persons who have tragically lost someone to suicide while working to reduce the incidence of suicide within the community, through available education, awareness and prevention services.
Prevention Resource Centers: There are three prevention resource centers in South Dakota. The Prevention Resource Centers assists students, parents, educators, community groups, social service and mental health agencies, chemical dependency service providers and law enforcement personnel in developing and implementing prevention programs in South Dakota. Located within the Prevention Resource Centers, there are resource libraries with videos, DVDs, books, CDs, brochures and curriculum.
- Southeastern Prevention Resource Center
- NE Prevention Resource Center
- Western Prevention Resource Center
National Suicide Prevention Organizations:
- Active Minds
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- The American Association of Suicidology
- The Jed Foundation
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- The National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors
- Mental Health America
- National Organization for People of Color Against Suicide (NOPCAS)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- SAMHSA’s National Mental Health Information Center
- SAVE – Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- The Trevor Project
- Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program
- Zero Suicide