What is suicide prevention?
Suicide is a serious public health problem that can have harmful lasting effects on individuals, families, and communities. While its causes are complex and determined by multiple factors, the goal of suicide prevention is simple: reduce factors that increase risk (risk factors) and increase factors that promote resilience (protective factors). Prevention addresses all levels of influence: individual, relationship, community, and societal. Coalitions support these efforts in their local communities by raising awareness and providing training.
What are suicide prevention coalitions?
Coalitions are groups of diverse individuals or organizations of individuals who work together to reach a common goal. It is an organization of organizations. By definition, in a coalition not everyone agrees or totally has the same interests. To learn more about community coalitions visit the Community Toolkits for Preventing Suicide page.
Prevention Resource Centers
Three Prevention Resource Centers (PRCs) provide regional support across the state to students, parents, educators, community groups, community agencies, law enforcement and any other interested entity looking for prevention resource materials or support. Each PRC has a resource library with videos, DVDs, books, CDs, brochures and curriculum, available for public use.
- Southeastern Prevention Resource Center, Sioux Falls
- Western Prevention Resource Center, Rapid City
- Northeastern Prevention Resource Center
The Helpline Center is a part of the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline crisis centers and answers 988 for South Dakota. The Helpline Center offers a variety of suicide prevention training, crisis support and survivor services that include grief support for individuals who have lost a loved one to suicide. The Helpline Center is the only accredited suicide prevention, intervention and after-care organization in South Dakota.
National Suicide Prevention Organizations:
- Active Minds
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)
- The American Association of Suicidology
- The Jed Foundation
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
- The National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors
- Mental Health America
- National Organization for People of Color Against Suicide (NOPCAS)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- SAVE – Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- The Trevor Project
- Yellow Ribbon Suicide Prevention Program
- Zero Suicide