Suicide Prevention Month
September is nationally recognized as Suicide Prevention Month. All month, mental health advocates, prevention organizations, survivors, allies, and community members unite to promote suicide prevention awareness. Everyone has a role in preventing suicide.
This month, challenge yourself to get involved. Attend a training or event, or choose an activity from below! To see if there are events in your area, check out the Events Calendar. For ideas on ways you can get involved, we’ve compiled a list of activities you can support in your community. Don’t forget to add your event to the Events Calendar!
- Distribute the Bethe1SD campaign materials when you are hosting events. Click here to order materials.
- Link to Bethe1SD.com on your website, Facebook, or other social media page.
- Work with your local radio and television stations to broadcast the Bethe1SD PSAs found under the Press Kit at Bethe1SD.com.
- Utilize the Bethe1SD digital content on your website and social media. For digital content, visit the Press Kit on Bethe1SD.com
- Hashtag your social media posts with #Bethe1, #Bethe1SD, #SDSuicidePrevention, and #SuicidePreventionMonth.
- Provide targeted outreach to at-risk populations utilizing our other campaign materials, which include LGBTQ, American Indian and the military. Click here to order materials.
Promote the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- Link to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL) on your website, Facebook, or other social media page.
- Print or utilize stickers to promote the 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) number on coffee sleeves, and distribute to your local coffee shops.
- Download the NSPL logo and awareness ribbons, print and disperse in your community.
- Distribute NSPL wallet cards, magnets and one pagers.
- Publish warning signs on flyers or note cards and distribute among your community, include the NSPL number on all materials.
- Promote the availability of behavioral health resources in your community, including the NSPL. For more information, dial 211, text your zip to 898211 or click here.
- Host a suicide awareness walk.
- Host a balloon release in memory of those lost to suicide.
- Host a suicide prevention town hall or forum, and invite public officials.
- Host a “Walk Up” event at your school, where students identify strengths in others by writing them on sticky notes and posting them on one another’s lockers.
- Provide best practices to your local media on reporting deaths by suicide.
- Have a “Wall of Hope” at your place of work or school, where individuals identify why living is important to them.
- Provide presentations to local schools and organizations, and provide resources.
- Collaborate with local organizations to promote activities and raise funds.
- Forward on the state press releases for publication locally.
- Publish the Suicide Prevention Month Proclamation.
- Write an op-ed to your local paper.
- Contact local media to provide coverage at your events.
- Work with your local television or radio stations to broadcast PSAs.
- South Dakota Department of Social Services
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Helpline Center
- SAMHSA Suicide Prevention
- Suicide Prevention Resource Center
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Suicide Awareness Voices of Education
- American Association of Suicidology
- The Trevor Project
For questions, contact the Department of Social Services at 605-367-5236 or e-mail DSSBH@state.sd.us.